What is Work Experience?

What does a fashion assistant do, what is work experience?

Well let’s start with work experience. Well, this is the
other side of fashion, the realist part, the day to day reality, unglamorous
side but the 100% necessary side of fashion.

You could be asked to do any of the following tasks and I’m sure that there are
many, many things that I can’t think of at the moment.

• Organize samples received or to be returned to PRs and checking condition of items
  • Upkeep of sample room and sample stock – keeping the area tidy and secure
  • Contacting public relation (PR) companies manufacturers and retailers
  • Research
  • Finding the best range of merchandise to be used in a shoot
  • Getting these garments to and from the studio or location
  • Picking up and returning garments to the PRs
  • Dressing the models for the shoot
  • Setting up the clothes for the shoot
  • Keeping track of the credits on a shoot
  • Steaming & ironing
  • Sewing a button on
  • Making tea
  • Running an errands
  • Keeping a keen eye on what is fashionable at any given time.

Related Posts

• Fashion AssistantFashion Assistant This is my new assistant on her first day! Stephanie's visiting London for the summer. She's from the States but would love to live in Europe. Being a fashion assistant is quite a bit of […]
  • Fashion AssistantFashion Assistant I've had some really great over the years and for some odd reason, unknown to me they are often called Chloe or some form of Kate. Anyway my assistant Chloe is so […]
  • Coco – a fashion assistantCoco – a fashion assistant Coco is visiting from the US and she's been doing work experience in London as part of her university program for the past three months. This is a picture of Coco steaming away at a […]
  • Fashion AssistantFashion Assistant A fashion assistant has to carry a lot of bags! This is my assistant in Topshop at Oxford Circus after several hours of shopping and still going strong!

10 comments on “What is Work Experience?

1. Suzy Glibbery
    January 19, 2007 at 21:21

Hi Rebekah,

I have just read your blog from Jan 11th!…Doing work experience with you has really inspired me to learn about fashion and given me the confidence to believe in myself and my own ideas about fashion :)

2. Precious
    December 28, 2007 at 16:16

I would like to know whether you offer work experience for GCSE students.If so please send me your details to attched email address.

3. Simone Warrick
    January 1, 2008 at 20:20

Hi Rebekah,
    Last year I completed an Access to Fashion Marketing course and plan on applying for
    a Diploma in Fashion Image & Styling. I am currently on my year out, looking for work experience. I was wondering if you currently had any time or vacancies for work experience?

4. dominique humphrey
    June 30, 2008 at 22:22

Hello Rebekah,

I would like to know do you still do work experience for Fasion Assistant?

I have done some work experience before for 1 week, I loved it and would like to know if you have any vancancies avalible please.

5. Lana Veliyeva
    September 16, 2008 at 14:14

Hi Rebekah,

I am wondering if you are still looking for work experience fashion assistants?
    I have been searching for opportunities in London,and I would love to learn some tips from you before i start university next September..
    With regards,Lana Veliyeva

6. Merowe
    September 20, 2008 at 10:10

hi,
    i would like to know if you offer any type of work experience for GCSE student.
    if so can u please let me know by my attached email address

7. Sarah
    September 22, 2008 at 15:15

Hi Rebekah,
    I’m a 2nd Year Fashion Journalism BAHons Student at UCA and was wondering if you are still in need of a fashion styling assistant. I have a bit of previous styling experence and would love to help out. I’ve attached my email address, can you let me know if anything comes up?
    Many Thanks
    Sarah Marsland

8. Lizi
    September 24, 2008 at 15:15

hi! I have just done my A levels and I am currently studying fashion foundation at college to progress to a fashion design course next year.. I am very keen to get as much experience as possible so if any work experience comes up I’d love to do it! I have left my email if anything comes up!
    Lizi Shurmer

9. Maria Westwood
    October 4, 2008 at 15:15

Hi
    i am currently studying at London College of Fashion and want to further my education next year in Styling. i am looking for any work experience or shadowing i can complete this year. Your work experience sounds really interesting and i would be committed to anything you could offer. i would be so grateful for any updates.

Many Thanks
    Maria Westwood

10. Chelsie
    October 7, 2008 at 18:18

Hi Rebekah,
    I am currently a student at London College Of Fashion. I am doing a portfolio course which entails fashion design and styling and photography. This is what i am realy enjoying and am going to carry on next year with a BA as i am most interested in styling. I would realy love the opportunity to work with you as i am currently signed up to your daily reports and love your work and the opportunity to work with you would be amazing.
    I am willing to do anything you ask of me as i will be most committed. If there are any opportunitys for work experiance and you are interested i could further you on my c.v and examples of my work.
    Thanks