What does a fashion assistant do, what is work experience?
Well let’s start with work experience. Well, this is the
other side of fashion, the realist part, the day to day reality, unglamorous
side but the 100% necessary side of fashion.
You could be asked to do any of the following tasks and I’m sure that there are
many, many things that I can’t think of at the moment.
- Organize samples received or to be returned to PRs and checking condition of items
- Upkeep of sample room and sample stock – keeping the area tidy and secure
- Contacting public relation (PR) companies manufacturers and retailers
- Finding the best range of merchandise to be used in a shoot
- Getting these garments to and from the studio or location
- Picking up and returning garments to the PRs
- Dressing the models for the shoot
- Setting up the clothes for the shoot
- Keeping track of the credits on a shoot
- Steaming & ironing
- Sewing a button on
- Making tea
- Running an errands
- Keeping a keen eye on what is fashionable at any given time.